Sunday, February 7, 2010

February 6, 2010 Planning During the Blizzard



 NOAA foretasted about a foot of snow for this past Friday into Saturday as early as Monday and the storm did not disappoint. We ended up with nearly 2 feet!  There was enough warning that we were prepared with groceries and libations this time!  While the snow was blowing outside I stayed warm hashing out the 2010 garden plan.

This year I am planning on a little less of everything to allow for greater spaces between plants.  The three biggest changes will be to the tomatoes, peppers, and the squash plants.  I'm going research what flowers that both look nice and will attract beneficial insects to plant in the spaces between the tomatoes.  I also still may find room for more peppers, but I am definitely giving them more room.  One square foot just wasn't enough. The same goes for the zucchini.  I'd like to plant only two in the same space I had four last year to see how that helps with the powdery mildew and overcrowding.  If I can, I'd also like to swap out one of the two zucchini for a yellow squash plant to give a little more color and variety during harvest time.

Gone this year are the watermelon, cantaloupe, and sunflowers.  They just didn't work out well for me and I needed to cut some things to make room for the extra spacing.  I am however going to give eggplant another try so I'll have to be watchful for the flea beetles again. Gone also is the separate trellis for the peas.  Trying to make my life easier and keeping all the climbing plants to one trellis.

And finally I'm looking into trying some more things from seed this year, especially the salad greens, peas, beans, and cucumbers.  I have a $30 order in my shopping cart for the Seed Saver's Exchange site (thanks Anne Marie for the tip) waiting for me to pull the trigger.  We're trying to figure out first how much room inside we have to set up little sun boxes to start them in.  There's a bunch of really interesting plants on there and I want to experiment with at least a few this year.

I These caught my eye:

I haven't thought yet about what to do with the "Annex" I recovered from the weed patch next to the berry bushes.  It might just be flowers, or another zucchini.  Any suggestions ?

3 comments:

  1. Purple pole beans are really yummy and grow easily...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, Purple beans are in then! Spring seems so far away as we just got more snow this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring is just around the corner- I am looking forward to setting up my garden and back deck area. I got a really cool water fountain from www.kineticfountains.com. Check it out!!

    ReplyDelete