Saturday, March 6, 2010

March 6, 2010 It's the First Warm Day So I'm Sowing Some Seeds


I received my seeds from the Seed Saver's Exchange today in the mail!  They came pretty quickly and were perfectly timed to arrive on the first warm day of the year.  Even though there are remnants of the snow everywhere, it truly felt like Spring is almost here. So Stacey and I took a trip to Ace to get a bag of dirt and some peat pots to start the first sowing. We also purchased three dishpans from the dollar store (I think that's what they're suppose to be used for at least) that are just the right size for the peat pots. 

Not wanting to jump the gun too much I only sowed a dozen lettuces (4 of each kind) and 8 scallions.  I did a little reading and it seems that these can all be started now in anticipation of them getting into the ground in two or three weeks. So that officially sets my deadline to get the garden cleaned up and tip top by March 27th, and I think since we get an extra hour of daylight starting next week it's a realistic goal.  I'm going to spend some of tomorrow taking stock of what needs to be done.  The snow is now completely gone from the garden so I can finally get a good look - and from the porch it looks like a real mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment