Sunday, March 29, 2009

March 29, 2009 First Thunderstorm

We had our first thunderstorm of the spring roll through this afternoon. I took the above picture a little less than an hour after it passed (click the thumbnail to see the larger version). It was a pretty good one!

Before it came through I spent an hour or so cleaning up all the rocks and weeds that I pull out of the garden. I also raked up and handpicked another big pile of rocks out of the west side of the plot. All the debris filled the giant wheelbarrow twice and I ended up dumping everything up by the compost heap. Amazingly the grass underneath the four piles were starting to die, but the ripped up sod was still alive and growing.

I decided to sowed some radishes, carrots, and more 'mixed green' lettuce. The ground was nice and moist which made things a little easier this time. Although the carrot and radish seeds were so tiny that it was it took some time to make sure that only one made into each hole. I only sowed about 10 radishes since I'm the only one that will eat them! I might put another square in in a a few weeks.

The trees are starting to bud, Spring will be in full bloom soon!

1 comment:

  1. Great pix of the sky/clouds! Your garden looks clean & neat & ready to grow! Thanks for blogging - we are vicariously gardening with you. Oh and in today's (3-30-09)Pittsburgh Post-Gazette there was an article you might enjoy - "Can You Dig it? Garden blogs are growing as a place for strong, honest opinion."

    Blog On!

    ReplyDelete