Monday, May 17, 2010

May 15, 2010 Overdue Update

I liked this view over the black berry bushes in full bloom!

It's been a few weeks since my last update and quite a bit has changed.  We've been busy with work, finishing arrangements for the wedding, and watching the Flyers dominate the Eastern Division!  In between I've been keeping  up with the garden but I've not been able to find the time to document it as often as I would like... so here's an update:

With the exception of this weekend there has been a number of cool days and colder nights over the last two weeks. This has been good for the leafy veggies and the peas, but the cucumbers and one of the peppers look a bit stressed.  Here's a wide shot of the spring crops. 

Here's a couple of the French Breakfast Radishes right out of the garden.  I like radishes in general, but this variety is fantastic.  There a bit more mild in bite than a traditional radish, but have great flavor, color, and texture.  I think this is going to be my go to radish in future years.  I liked them so much I planted a second row!


The peas are looking amazing! They are much bushier this year and have grown taller than last year.  I can't tell if it's the difference in seeds, or the weather has been cooler this Spring.  Either way they are all flowering and look super healthy. 

The lettuce is also benefiting from the cooler weather.  In just a week they nearly doubled in size.  I've picked a few leaves here and there to try them out and they're pretty good.  The Deer Tongue is a little bitter, but has a pleasant taste.  I think that this week I'll be able to throw all them together in a salad.  I planted a new row of each variety to ensure that they keep coming up when I need them.

Not much new with the tomatoes.  They're slowly getting bigger, but the cooler temperatures have kept them from exploding.  I finished adding the remaining stakes and placed a cage over all of the plants.  They're just waiting for the summer to show...



The peppers are about as good as the tomatoes.  They're slowly growing and are looking good enough.  The King Arthur variety have a few leaves that looked a bit stressed but all in all they're in good shape. 

The squash are looking pretty good.  The cold weather turned one leaf on each plant black. I was a bit worried at first, but they've grown several new leaves to replace dead.  Since the cold nights they've looked fantastic and are steadily growing!


Cucumbers are looking ratty.  I'm hoping they're just off to a slow start with the weather, but I'm getting a little nervous.  I seeded several of them in peat pots and transplanted them.  A few days later it got down to the mid 30's.  I covered them the first night but a few days later it got down to the upper 30's at night and I let them be.  I seeded some additional plants to replace the ones that looked real bad.  So far they've mostly sprouted but they don't look as good as last year.

From here on out it's suppose to be warm, so I'm hoping my troubles with the cold nights are behind me!

No comments:

Post a Comment