Thursday, July 21, 2011

July 21, 2011 - Garden Business

 The harvest has definitely began! The yellow squash and zucchini are coming in fast, lots of cucumbers too.  I've roasted most of them but also baked a couple loaves of zucchini bread.

 
The cherry tomatoes are in ripening and now some other tomatoes are ready too!

The cucumbers are going crazy and I have already pulled in a few dozen.  I've made some cucumber salad and a cucumbers soup. I have several more I picked yesterday. Pickles next?

The butternut squash almost looks ready, but as there are only two real nice looking fruits I'm going to give it a little longer to ripen up.  It's my first time so I don't know what is too ripe verses not ripe enough.

 And the big thing is the watermelon...  I was so excited for the watermelon but when we came back, something has eaten nearly all of them.  Some of them only have some nibbles on the skin, but most are gouged out and lay rotting on the vine.  I was able to harvest two of the golden midgets and they are sweet!   I have two suspects as to who ate them: a groundhog that has been spotted in the melon patch, and a rabbit who I've caught now twice in the garden.  The rabbit is a huge problem that may need "solving"....

No comments:

Post a Comment