Sunday, April 4, 2010

April 3, 2010 Sowing More Seeds


Spring is in full bloom.  Across the street is what was once the manor house to the barn we live in, and the field above the stone wall that runs along the road is full of daffodils and other bulbs bursting with color!  The trees are all white and pink with blossoms, and the days of 3 feet of snow everywhere are starting to feel like like a distant memory (nightmare).


 
I spent some time today adding another six feet to the garden plot.  I've ceding this space to Stacey to plant some flowers here to make the garden look a little nicer.  It'll look great in a month or so when the flowers start going in. It'll be nice to have some color to look at from the porch!

Check out the before and after pics.  It looks much cleaner now with the ratty grass pulled up.  There was a bunch of mint and catnip growing wild there so I left a little bit of each. I've dug out the boarder and set the old fence posts into the ground rather than just laying there.  I got about half way done but I plan on finishing up this small project week.

I also gave up on the lettuce I had transplanted.  For three days after I planted it we had an inane amount of rain and colder nights that destroyed them.  The peas seem to have fared much better, but there was nothing left of the lettuce. So now I have (from left to right in the picture) Yugo Red Lettuce, Deer Tongue Lettuce, Slow Bolt Lettuce, Red Dragon Carrots, Scallions, Radishes, Spinach, Shallots, and Garlic.  I found the shallots and garlic at a newly discovered garden store down the street.  It's literally 3 minutes away and I had never been there.  Really nice stuff and helpful staff for good prices, I recommend this place if you're in the area: Distinctive Gardens
It's apparently time to start plugging in the electric fence.  Before I did any of the digging I noticed a fresh set of deer tracks running right down the middle of the garden.  It's like they're taunting me!

No comments:

Post a Comment