Sunday, April 11, 2010

Aptil 10, 2010 Quick Progress Report

The Carpenter Bees are back this week.  I know that they can do some serious damage to blah blah blah...  I don't care, they're fun to watch!  There are about a dozen of them buzzing around and doing some crazy maneuvers.  There a great sign that the warm weather is here to stay!   So here's a quick round up of how things are going:

The peas are growing pretty quickly thanks to the nice weather.  All of the plants came up but one, which is pretty good.  Most of them are 4-5 inches now and the smallest is just an inch above the surface.  They're even starting to climb the trellis!
Radishes are popping out.  They're not exactly in a neat little row but who cares, they are a welcome touch of green in the patch of dirt where I planted my seeds.
 
Not much doing with the lettuce thus far.  There is something small and growing there but it's too soon to tell if it's actually lettuce!

What I thought were weeds are indeed spinach! A quick Google search confirmed that this is what they look like at this stage.  I thought it was grass with the long and skinny first leaves, but if you look closely at the picture the first rounded bits of delicious are starting to pop out!

I'm guessing that this is the shallots sprouting.  They've only been in the ground a week and they're already coming along.  I'm very pleased!

These are the green onions that I put in last week.  I purchased them to be part of dinner, I saved the bottom piece with the root and simply stuck it in the ground.  I got the brilliantly simple idea from some page I found with Stumble Upon (Greatest tool for the web btw) but I didn't bookmark it to give the person credit. 

New this week to the garden, well actually to two strawberry pots on the porch are, well,  strawberries!  I've never seen strawberries sold this way so I had to give them a try,  They were selling them in bunches of 25 with a pretty decent root system already to go.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they do!

What is this you might ask?  It's a pretty substantial Goldings Hop rhizome.  I'm super excited about this (Thanks to Mark Prior for the donation) as I've been thinking about how to first find, and then plant some hops for my home brewing since last year.  I'm not sure how much this one massive rhizome is going to yield, but Goldings whole leaf hops sell for about $5 an ounce. And it would be real cool to brew a "Backyard Harvest Ale" this fall!  I'm hoping that this baby gets me at least an ounce or two for one good hoppy ale...  I planted it an a 2x2x2 foot pot and plan on running the vines along the metal mesh of the porch for easy harvesting.  It's just crazy enough to work!! Here's a great article about growing hops if anyone is interested: Growing Hops in Containers

No comments:

Post a Comment