Thursday, April 23, 2009

April 23, 2009 Is That A Bat In Your Poop?

I took advantage of the nice afternoon and spent some time in the garden. The bag of bat crap is now out of my trunk and into my dirt. I decided to just dump it where I don't have anything growing yet and spread it out as much as possible. So the tomatoes and zucchini I hope will get a little extra boost when I plant them in a few weeks.

I did have to sift out some debris that got sucked up along with the guano but that was expected. What I didn't expect was to have a dried out bat come with the guano. I don't know if he was dead before or after he was vacuumed up, but he sure wasn't flapping around in the bag when I picked it up! I toyed with the idea of chopping him up with the shovel and raking him in the with his own feces, but decided to instead flick him in the trees up by the road. I don't think I'm hardcore enough to use whole animal carcasses as fertilizer yet! It sounds like a bad idea.

I yanked out another hundred or so weeds in the areas with plants growing - they had gotten especially bad near the lettuce. I also raked out a bunch more in the areas that are empty. The lettuce is still looking good. The radishes are getting bigger and the peas are about two inches tall. Everything is growing fast!


The NWS has issued a frost advisory for tonight, but I'm not going to worry it. It's suppose to be in the 80's this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment