Saturday, April 25, 2009

April 25, 2009 Pea Support



It is beautiful this weekend, it's pushing 90 and lots of sun!

I installed my support for the peas today. We found a three-sided tomato cage that I stretched out and put a six foot post at either end to give it a little extra support. The peas aren't big enough to start climbing, but I bet with the nice weather this weekend (and the rest of the week) they'll be there soon. I'm still not certain if the pole beans will out grow the cage (it's about 4 1/2 feet tall). Any suggestions if this system will work? How tall do pole bens tend to be?

The lettuce has really started to take off too. I noticed that several of them are noticeably bigger even after just a couple of days. I may be able harvest a little in a week or two. The second planting is starting to take as well. The second set seems to be growing quicker than the first. Perhaps now it is a little more appropriate fro them to be out and in the ground than the first planting. You can see in some of the pictures that a few from the first planting didn't make it.

Since it's going to be hot and dry for a few days I wanted to figure out how I'm going to water the garden. It's been kinda nice having so much rain that this is the first time I had to worry about water! There is an array of spigots attached to a post near the barn, and one of them is connect to the hose that runs along the north side of my plot. All the hoses run underground so it took a little trial and error until we figured out which lever works what hose. The hose that runs along my plot is connected to a second hose at the far end that goes all the way to the trees in the orchard. I disconnected that and used it to water my portion, but the hose is in bad shape. It leaks pretty bad at the connection and more importantly it's a pain to disconnect and then reconnect every time I need to water. I'd like to put together some kind of automated system, or at least replace the hose and have a splitter where the connection is now.... I'll look into that soon.

In other news: the grape vines are starting to bud. They look like they're going to put on quite a show when they open up!





3 comments:

  1. SO Sekkes, I installed a compost bin for my families garden yesterday. Sorry, no pictures. However, we have an extra one that is not in use if you want it. Easy install and a whole lot better than a pile of shit in your yard. Kind of makes you look professional as well. Let me know if you want it, no charge of course, you are my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! Bring it to the Memorial Day happenings if you can fit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those grape vines are in desperate need of a good pruning. TOo late now though as the sap has already began to run. Old canes should be cut back before the sap has begun to run, there should be only 2 or 3 growing points per plant for optimal bunch set, size and production.

    ReplyDelete