Tuesday, April 7, 2009

April 7, 2009 The Coming Frost


The sky looked pretty grim on the ride home from work today and shortly after I got back it began to flurry a bit. So I took that as a sign and decided to try and protect the lettuce from tonight's frost.

Like McGuyver I used what I had on hand and rigged up a trash bag frost protector. I hope it doesn't blow away!

I'm almost positive these aren't weeds... which means the radishes have started to come up. All the seeds but one or two have popped up. It's been about nine days since I sowed them which means I still have another three weeks or so before I get my first vegetables out of the garden. Not bad! I'll probably sow another square next week.

(This one is for you Matty) Before the wind storm on Saturday this was a little above ground pool that sat on the patio. It used to be right side up and near the black pump there in the background. I don't think we'll be doing much swimming this summer....

We've already had more bad wind storms here in the last three months than the two previous years in the borough. And I'm sure it won't be the last strong winds to rip though. I should probably make sure the beans, peas, cucumbers, and tomatoes have some extra protection.

I liked this photo so I thought I'd post it. You can see the garden through the window, well if it was clean you could. The shovel and other tools are kept just to the left of the window...

2 comments:

  1. Is that a pool or a cattle watering hole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture through the window looks so .... Irish? I love it! Wish I had a neat little building like that!

    ReplyDelete