Saturday, May 16, 2009

May 16, 2009 Hot Peppers From the Market


I was able to find a good variety of Hot Peppers today at the market as the vendor last week promised. I stayed away from the Habenero and bought some edible peppers: 1 Ancho, 1 Jalapeno, 1 Cayenne , and 1 mystery pepper that didn't have a tag on it and by the time I got home I couldn't remember what variety it was. I guess I'll find out in a couple months. I also filled in all the room I had for tomatoes with two more Plums and a Grape.


So that does it for vegetables in the garden. The last thing I'm putting in will be some Sun Flowers I started from seed last week. They're starting to get big and will try and get them in by mid-week. At the same time I also started from seed 5 Watermelon and 5 Pumpkin seeds. The plan is to put them along a stone wall currently covered with weeds. It's going to be a fairly large project to clean that up which we haven't had the time yet to do. But as soon as the seeds start to get too large for the peat pots I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get it done.

Over the last couple of days all the seeds in the garden I planted out there have started to sprout. The Cucumbers are moving a little slow, but the entire row of Pole Beans have all come up. The first of the Bush Beans have also sprouted. You can see in the picture below the difference between the ones that I started indoors (in the back) verses the ones I planted as seeds (front left).


Peas are still looking good!


The Zucchini have all grown some new leaves. I was a little worried about them when the first (round) leaves were turning yellow. All the true leaves (spade-shaped) that opened look good and no insects have tried to eat them yet.

The other bit of news is that I pulled the first vegetables. Just a few radishes and a couple of the larger heads of lettuce for a salad with dinner tonight. Tuna steaks and a garden salad... yum.


And finally, here's the latest schematic of the garden:

No comments:

Post a Comment