Friday, May 22, 2009

May 22, 2009 Memorial Day Weekend Update

First the good news:
The sunflowers have been planted, and although I've said it before: THAT is the end of the planting in the main plot. All but one are looking good after being in the ground for a few days. They were looking real leggy in the peat pots, but they have now seem to have taken. (The double-row on the right side of the pic below)


The new peppers have had no problems adjusting. The first set of six peppers are noticeably bigger than the second and third plantings. I've never had luck with any pepper but the hot peppers I grew three seasons ago. All the bell peppers I tried in containers were tiny and misshapen.

The tomatoes are all looking good. The one plum tomatoes is not growing as fast as the others, but it's too early to worry about it. I have had to pinch off several suckers on the rest. Here's a good article about tomato upkeep and some discussion on how best to remove suckers: http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/articles/pruning-tomatoes.aspx


This is the largest of the zucchinis. The rest are doing just fine, but this one has two more leaves than the rest.

The peas are growing strong and tall. I'm hoping they start producing before it gets too warm out.




Now for the bad news:
I've lost two cucumber plants, however the six remaining plants all look good. I'm not sure what went wrong with them and haven't had the time to research it. It seems the stems went limp, and they just fell over dead.

Additionally, all four eggplant are looking a little suspect. They seem to have attracted the most attention from what ever bugs, slugs, and caterpillars. They're not down for the count yet, but some of the leaves are looking ravaged and they don't look as strong as some of the other plants in the garden. I've read that they're slow to grow to begin with, but I'm worried that if they get to too stunted this early in the season I'll have problems down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment