Friday, May 1, 2009

May 1, 2009 May Rains

It's been raining for two days and more is on the way. But in a break in the rain today after work I went down to check everything out. So here's what everything looks like today:

The radishes (on the right) have grown quite a lot. I may dig one up this weekend to see how they're looking! On the left are what may or may not be carrots. I'm going to let it go for a while longer and see what happens. I'm now fairly sure that most of them are the weeds that have been popping up everywhere, but at least I'll find out what they are!



Here are the peas. I still need to find something that they climb up that doesn't have such wide spaces between. In the upper right is the spearmint that came up by itself. I may have to get rid of it to make way for the beans that will be going in soon.


The lettuce looks like it has appreciated all the rain.

And here's a close up of one of the grape vines. What I thought were flowers were actually the leaves budding out. But these look a lot like grapes to me...

In addition to all that, a few days ago I started a dozen pole beans, 4 bush beans, and 6 cucumbers from seeds and they've all germinated. Also, tomorrow the Grower's Market opens in West Chester and I'm going to try and sneak down for a few minutes and see what's available. I'm anxious to get the summer vegetables started and in the ground! I have an obligation tomorrow during the market hours, but next week I'll have lots of time to browse and go crazy by filling up my trunk with seedlings... I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. those are carrots. They are planted too close though, you need to thin them to get proper swelling of the roots so you dont have the so called 'baby carrots'. There are a lot of weedy species in there too. Same thing with your radishes...too close for proper sizing. Refer to the PA Vegetable Production Guide for spacing recommendations, as well as how to deal with your perennial and annual weed problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw......there is no such thing as 'baby carrots' botanically. Baby carrots are a marketing scam created for stupid american consumers that like things the easy way. Baby carrots are nothing more than a shaved down regular carrot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew has been my guide for my spacing guidelines. In the book, radishes are recommended at 16 per square foot which is what I went with. I'm thinking about sewing a new square soon, so maybe I'll try 9 in there and see what difference that makes.

    And while I admit they do look an awful lot like carrots, they can't be. The same plant is growing all over the patch. Aside from some grass, it's the ONLY weed I seem to be fighting. My landlord thinks that they're some variety of 'wild carrot'. I think I just want to start again with the carrots...

    ReplyDelete