Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 26, 2009 Battle For the Eggplant

After a little research I have identified the bug that's been devastating the Eggplants: Flea Beetles (Here's some more info). So I am taking swift action by first trying an organic solution. I read on several websites that a garlic spray will deter them. I used a modified version of this recipe (I used less water and substituted dish soap).

Protect your garden plants from cabbageworms, caterpillars, hornworms, aphids, flea beetles and other chewing/sucking insects by routinely using a natural spray that you can make at home. The spray must be applied regularly, especially after a rainfall. Brew up a batch as follows:

6 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp dried hot pepper
1 minced onion
tsp pure soap (not detergent)
1 gallon hot water

Blend & let sit for 1 - 2 days. Strain & use as spray. Ground cayenne or red hot pepper can also be sprinkled on the leaves of plants (apply when leaves are slightly damp) to repel chewing insects or added to the planting hole with bone meal or fertilizer to keep squirrels, chipmunks, dogs and other mammals away from your gardens. Be sure to reapply after rain.

--From the Capital District Community Garden Website

It's going to rain for the next few days, so I'll make the first application soon... I'll try and document it's effectiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment