Monday, June 17, 2013

June 17, 2013 - Flea Beetles vs. the Eggplant


This is a flea beetle.  I know next to nothing about them other than they love eggplant!

Every year I try and grow eggplant, and every year this is what happens.  About ten days ago they started swarming.  This year it wasn't as bad as in the past where they were thick on the leaves, but twice a day I go out and squash every one I can find.  There are typically somewhere between 10-20 of them putting holes in the leaves.  I hope my efforts are enough to give the eggplants enough breathing room to get through the invasion.


 Notice the aphid on the upper left of the tomato curl?

 And here's another one on the stem.  I'm keeping a close eye to make sure they don't get out of hand.


Not a pest, but I liked this picture of the ant on a pepper flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment