Thursday, June 20, 2013

June 20, 2013 - Downingtown Farmers Market Dinner: Canter Hill Pork Chops

Tonight's Farmers Market Dinner:
Grilled Canter Hill Farm Pork Chop with Cherry-Balsamic Reduction, Roasted Rosemary Potatoes and Grilled Summer Squash.


Last week was a bust: severe thunderstorms and preparing for a trip to upstate New York made me miss the market for the first time.   This week however,  I was fortunate enough to get to the market nice and early to get the first pickings.  Today, I decided to splurge on some pork chops from Canter Hill Farm.  They were pretty pricey at $13 a pound, but the meat was superior and the results were very delicious.

This week's bag: cherries, potatoes, a zucchini, a small onion, and the chops.

1.  The chops came sealed and frozen, so as soon as I got home I tossed them into a bowl of cool water to begin defrosting.  I don't know if this method is approved by the Health Inspector, but it allowed me to quickly defrost the chops in a (reasonably) safe manner.

2. Chopped up the potatoes.  Drizzled them with some olive oil.  And tossed them in rosemary from the garden, and salt & pepper.  Roasted them at 400 for about 45 minutes.

3. While the potatoes were cooking, I began the reduction:
a.) Minced half of the onion and sauteed it in some butter, salt & pepper. over medium heat.
b.) I cranked up the heat a bit and added some sherry.  Let that sit for a few minutes
c) Added a little stock, balsamic vinegar, and pitted,quartered cherries.
d.) Let that reduce for about 30 minutes (I think) while stirring it every few minutes.


Here's what the cherry balsamic reduction looked like when it was all finished.

4. The squash were cut about 0.25 inches thick and lengthwise.  Tossed in a little oil and S&P.

5. The thawed pork chops got dusted with a little S&P and some chopped sage.

 6.  I let the squash cook for a few minutes before I dropped the chops.

7. About 6 minutes one one side then 5 on the other and it was done.  I let it rest about 10 minutes while I plated the squash and potatoes.  I garnished it was a cherry that was sliced to allow the sage/parsley bundle sit in.




No comments:

Post a Comment